Starting a business while at university

I know this is an awesome thing to do. Who has experience with this? What are the benefits and challenges?? Cheers

The business I stared was The Pegboard Company. As a student I had heaps of gear and there was no versatile, modular storage system that could accommodate for all of this. The pegboard acts as a tool to help keep your room tidy whilst also displaying all of your personal items.
We’ve really develop with the help of the incubator and summer start up programmes in the UCE. Our main focus is making sales which is super fun. The best thing about starting your own business is that I’m learning so much from experience, something that a lot of Uni students probably couldn’t say !

CHALLENGES
Funding something that your passionate enough about to stick at.
Lots of students have that ‘idea’ but actually breaking it down and defining your market can be quite tricky. Since we’re young our experience in the market is limited so learning how to break your idea down to fundamentals can be quite tricky.

Excuses like ‘I don’t have enough time’ or ‘there’s to many distractions’ are genuine bullshit. If you can balance your lifestyles, allocate time to certain areas you’ll be surprised at what you can achieve if you work at it ! I’ve been super busy this year trying to balance multiple commitments (and keep up a social life). It’s been hectic but I wouldn’t have it any other way !

1 Like