How could I balance being Head Boy with my other work?

I’m considering going for the head position at my school, the only thing is I don’t know if it’s going to be too much responsibility and pressure. Also, balancing it with school work and university applications could be too full on. Any advice here would be great!

Hi Curious.george,

This is a very valid question and one which many high achieving students struggle with. I wasn’t personally head girl at my high school; however, I know from my experience of balancing leadership positions with university work that you can fit close to anything in if you adopt the necessary work ethic and some savy time management.

I find that using google calendar to block out chunks of time helps me to understand exactly how much time I can assign to each task and enables me to maximize each day. This means that there isn’t a lot of time wasted and you’re always clear on deadlines and priorities. You may not realize it, but it’s highly likely that no matter how busy you think you are, every week you have 10-15 hours of inefficient time usage. This can be things like sleeping in on weekends or getting caught up in the shows that are on TV. Blocking out your calendar helps you weed out these wasted hours and utilize them effficiently to fit something like head Boy responsibilities in. After all, would you rather be head Boy or spend Saturday shifting through TV channels?

Head Boy is a very strong leadership position and one that will be a key differentiating factor in your college application (as well as a fantastic experience). While I understand that the idea of jumping into a role like this (which requires time commitment and responsibility) can be daunting, everything worth doing in life has these aspects.

I would recommend that you throw yourself in the deep end and lift yourself to face the challenges as they come up. I’ve personally found this is the fast track to personal growth and if you go into it with the right mindset, you’ll come out on top.

Best of luck and have faith in your abilities!
Jen

For more information from people who have been Head Boys/Girls, I’d recommend checking out our high school section here: https://ask.crimsoneducation.org/c/high-school-selection

1 Like