What is it actually like being a medical student, especially in your last year? :)

are the realities vs expectations similar to what you envisioned when you first began your journey?
Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks for your question! I’m currently in my final year of medical school at the University of Auckland. Our final year is called Trainee Intern year, where it is pretty much an internship and we are expected to perform some of the duties of a qualified junior doctor. This means that we are a lot more involved in the care of the patient and can make an actual difference in helping out your team. However, this does come with a degree of responsibility also as your decisions and actions can impact more on a patient. It is nevertheless very enjoyable and also intellectually challenging as we put our 6 years worth of experience and knowledge into practice. In regards to what I expected when I first began, I didn’t really know what to expect at the time and I must admit, there are days where it can get tiring, but the satisfaction of knowing I have helped someone out makes is very rewarding and easily makes up for it. Hope you found this useful!

1 Like