Should I attend the University of Chicago, even if I know I'll hate the Core?

I want to go to the University of Chicago because I want to study Economics there. However, I really do not think I will enjoy slogging through the intensive Gen Ed requirements. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ll hate it. Should I attend the University of Chicago (just for the Econ), even if I know I’ll really hate doing the Core (Gen Ed reqs)?

So the short-answer is no, if you do not think you will enjoy the Core, do not attend the University of Chicago. You will spend at the very least 1 and a half years completing the Core, so it would be a very significant part of your college experience.

However, I also have a more nuanced answer to your question. The first thing I would like you to do is open your mind up a little. I would never go into something certain that you’re going to hate it. Opinions change very frequently; especially at your age. So keep an open mind. I know many friends who thought they would dislike the Core and ended up loving it.

The other thing that you should keep in mind is that the Core does have a level of flexibility built into it. In particular, each Core requirement can be fulfilled by a whole range of different classes. I’m sure you’'ll be able to find classes, which you will enjoy.

1 Like

It is also worth mentioning that other colleges have a very similar curriculum structure (Harvard has “Gen Ed” for instance)

1 Like