School Insight: Palmerston North Boys' High School

Is there anyone who has had personal experience with Palmerston North Boys’ High School either in the capacity of student, parent, or staff member?

I’m interested in learning more about the school and its culture, in particular:

-Extracurriculars available
-Leadership and volunteer opportunities
-Academic structure (curriculum / how are classes categorised/streamed
-School tradition and culture
-Social aspect / inclusivity
-Facilities

What are the best parts about attending Palmerston North Boys’ High School? In addition, what are some of the weaknesses (if any).

Hi there,
I was a student at Palmy Boys, my last year was 2012. I had a great time there, and would highly recommend the school. It is hands down the best boys school in the area.

1. Extracurriculars
    There is a extremely wide offering of extracurriculars. A very strong sporting school, with all major codes, as well as good support from staff on smaller sports such as chess, waterpolo, racket sports etc. A strong and busy music department, as well as a good selection of other cultural activities. I was always seriously impressed with the wide range of things on offer. The benefit of being a large school with a large staff.
  2. Leadership & Volunteer opportunities
    Leadership is the hallmark of Palmy boys, and forms a large part of the culture there. There is a special leadership programme, as well as mentor positions, prefects, and student leaders through the 5 years. There are limited volunteering opportunities, and something that would probably be done outside of school.
  3. Academic
    Classes are streamed, with top 3 streams being in the accelerate programme which works a year in advance. NCEA is the standard, with some Cambridge offered to top streamed students. There is also a strong lower stream system and good learning support for students with disabilities or impairments.
  4. Tradition and culture
    Tradition is also a hallmark of the school. As the school has a rich history this is a large part of school life and culture. I personally found it an enjoyable culture, that left a large imprint in my character. However as with everything there are some who won’t find it the same.
  5. Social/inclusivity
    This has come along way in the last 10 years, I think the diversity and inclusivity has increased enormously and has gotten away from a sport orientated boys school. The opportunities are so broad and pushed from senior management that I never felt any major issues there.
  6. Facilities
    Great facilities! Pool, gym, indoor cricket training, large field, good classrooms, etc.

Overall I enjoyed my time there, I was very involved and therefore enjoyed the large range of things on offer. The culture has definitely changed from being very sport orientated, and I especially spent a lot of time in the music department.

Check their website for more up to date info as this is just from how it was in 2012.

1 Like