School Insight: Epsom Girls Grammar School

Is there anyone who has had personal experience with EGGS either in the capacity of student, parent, or staff member?

I’m interested in learning more about the school and its culture, in particular:

• Extracurriculars available
  • Leadership and volunteer opportunities
  • Academic structure (curriculum / how are classes categorised/streamed
  • School tradition and culture
  • Social aspect / inclusivity
  • Facilities

What are the best parts about attending EGGS? In addition, what are some of the weaknesses (if any).

I left EGGS in 2012 and have had 2 sisters also attend the school, with the youngest starting year 13 this year. We have all absolutely loved EGGs and it has given us a great grounding for university and life. I definitely think an all girls school is great for building a girls confidence and an overall sense that they can do anything they want in life.

Sport
EGGS is a great school for sport as there are so many options available and they are always so inclusive, with generally speaking everyone who wants to play a sport being able to be included in a team. However, since I attend EGGS, where many of our premier teams were top in the country, there has been a noticeable drop in in the competitiveness of the premier sports teams. This is due to many of the talented sports girls who would attend EGGS, choosing to attend, or getting scholarships to St Cuths, Dio or St Kents, with their sports teams receiving a higher level of training and competing at a higher level.

Academic
I found that there is a really great learning environment at EGGS, with teachers pushing you to strive for excellence. Due to the size of the school there are such a wide range of subjects on offer which is great for students who want to study subjects that typically would not be the norm. One of the downsides I found was that there was only streaming by ability for maths, which coupled with the fact that classes were reasonably large (usually 25-30 students) meant that it was often hard for teachers to cater to every level of learning.