Physics for First Year BHSc @ Auckland?

Hi!

I’m a year 11 student currently looking at my options for next year, with the ambition of doing first year Health Science at Auckland, and then (hopefully) Medicine. I’ve decided on English, Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics at the moment, and am contemplating as to whether I should take History or Physics as my 6th subject. I’m leaning towards history atm because I think it would be nice to take another English-rich subject, due to the essay writing components of the Population Health papers, and because I think it would be really interesting. However, I’m concerned as to whether not taking Physics would affect my progress in the course - as far as I know there doesn’t appear to be much Physics at all in any of the first year BHSc papers - is this true or would Physics be useful? Also, would not taking Physics be a hindrance for medicine if I get in?

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Yes you are correct, there is no physics in First Year Health Science at Auckland, and even within the Biomedical Science pathway the Physics paper is a non-core paper. So I would agree with you regarding choosing history if you enjoy it more and are leaning towards Health Science which has much more writing/essay based components - it would not be a hindrance for you in pursuing medicine!

1 Like

Thank you for your advice :smiley: