Is there a foreign language requirement at the University of Chicago?

I applied Early Action and I think I have a solid chance of gaining admission. I’ve heard that UChicago has many Gen Ed requirements. So I’m guessing there will be a second language requirement. How can I get out of it?

Hey, great question! Let me answer your question in two parts.

Firstly, yes, there is a second language requirement. Every undergrad has to demonstrate a minimum of an elementary understanding of a language other than English in order to graduate. What constitutes an elementary understanding of a second language? Well, it’s hard to quantify, as it varies quite a lot depending on the language. However in general, ‘elementary understanding’ roughly translates to one year of college-level study in a second language.

Secondly, in order to get out of it you’ll have to prove to the university that you’re competent in a second language. There are two ways of going about this. Option 1: take a language reading, writing, and oral test, administered by the university and pass it. Option 2: use high school credits. If neither of these options work for you, then I’m sorry to say, but you will have to take a second language class while you’re in college. But not to worry, there are some really cool languages on offer at the University of Chicago, including languages such as American Sign Language and Attic.