I want to get a degree in music - where do I go?

I want to get a degree in music - where do I go? I have been a really serious musician my whole life and want to go to a top program.

There are many great schools for music in the U.S. located in both urban and suburban campus environments.

The major conservatories that offer the most elite musical training in many musical specialties include Eastman School of Music (Rochester, NY), Curtis Institute (Philadelphia), Juilliard School (NYC), Manhattan School of Music (NYC), New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music (NYC), New England Conservatory (Boston), and the Cleveland Institute of Music (OH).

However, a handful of schools offer historically elite musical training in an academically elite setting, like Oberlin Conservatory/College, Rice University, or University of Michigan.

Some schools like Indiana University, North Texas University, University of Southern California, or University of Miami at Coral Gables are known for particularly exceptional jazz programs, if that’s your thing.

Don’t forget that if you are applying to an elite music program, you will have to submit an audition prescreening recordings or videos to get selected for an in-person audition. Usually those prescreening recordings have different due dates than the rest of the application materials, so be sure to check that sooner than later when considering music school options.

1 Like