How does one go about pursuing an acting career in New Zealand?

I am very interested in drama and the arts but I’m unaware how to take it to the next level.

Hi there! My name is Caitlin, and I am actively working as a full-time actor in Auckland. I remember feeling the exact same thing as you are right now. The first thing I want to say is awesome, good on you - and you shouldn’t give up on your dream as anything is possible especially if you want it enough.
The first thing you want to do is look at drama/film schools. I personally went to South Seas Film school as I’ve had a lot of exposure to theatre in my years and didn’t want to spend more time on practicing that. However there are tonnes including Unitec, Toi Whaakari etc. The auditioning process can be tough, but make sure you’ve spent lots of time on working on your audition pieces (usually monologues) and with confidence and passion, you’ll be sweet. From here, you can get an agent and they’ll get you work! If you’re still quite young and not thinking of leaving school yet - I would recommend tutoring, drama classes and/or working in community theatre. The lessons you learn from working as an emsemble are priceless both as an actor and as a human. I wish you all the best. Don’t give up, you can do it :slight_smile:

1 Like