Getting Law degree overseas


If I was to have a law degree overseas, how difficult is it to get then get one in America? would I have to do the whole post grad degree or is it easier to get into the American system if you already have a license to practice law overseas?

1 Like

What country are you in now?

If you do an undergraduate degree like an L.L.B in New Zealand you can’t practice immediately in the US. You need to be approved usually by a state bar in America. The next degree which you could pursue in the US is a L.L.M (master of laws) or a Doctoral degree.

For people that have done a non-law undergrad degree, you can apply to American law school for a J.D. which is the rough equivalent of the L.L.B in commonwealth countries.

Some schools like Melbourne University have now introduced a US structure offering a postgraduate J.D.