Dual Citizenship

Are there applicants with certain backgrounds (i.e. different citizenships) that have an advantage?

For example, I have dual citizenship is there any value of picking one over the other, or must I state both?

1 Like

Hi Anon,

I realise this isn’t the answer you were probably hoping for, but regarding this question, it depends on your situation. For instance holding dual citizenship gives you options depending on where you can study and the associated fees. Often universities prefer domestic students, but also holding dual citizenship can open doors to targetted scholarships and programmes that cater to those citizens.

For the most part, though, there is no downside to stating both. Applicants with diverse backgrounds often have a richer story to tell in their applications, and so it can certainly be a way to stand out from the crowd.

Hope this helps you out :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’m considering USA/UK/France however I don’t have citizenship in any of those countries so I would be considered an international student.

I’m saying for example, would applying from Australia vs Samoa give you an advantage as to how many students a school accepts from each country?

Universities don’t have quotas for each country but more an unofficial overall quota for international students at large. Officially it is not advantageous to designate a single country however it could help you to stand out if you choose to designate a nationality that is under-represented. However, your grades will be compared relative to those of your peers who studied the same high school qualification, and that will be the primary factor.

1 Like