What is it like to study at RMIT?

I am interested in studying marketing or communications. Any ideas?

RMIT University is often described as offering one of the best communications and marketing degrees due to its ‘industry-focused’ course, compared to other universities which can place equal emphasis on theory.

Today’s communications and marketing sector requires practitioners to be multi-skilled across many forms of content creation and broadcasting for a range of mediums and platforms. Take for example, the launch of a company’s product. A communications professional may be tasked with editing a promotional video of the product for YouTube, Instagram and Facebook. They may prepare copy for a blog, e-newsletter and social media channels. A press release may be crafted for a media launch.

The technical, hands-on skills gained across the degree are supported to meet the demands of what is commonly becoming a multi-skilled role.

I personally completed a Bachelor of Communications (Professional Communication) which was a hybrid degree, encompassing: Journalism, Media and Public Relations. Practical outcomes from the degree included:

• Interviewing skills - recording and post-production (TV, radio, online)
  • Advanced print journalism - writing a range of hard and soft news articles for a series of news rounds
  • Media Kit development - fact sheet, backgrounder, press release writing and media alert constructing
  • Strategic PR Planning - crisis management, brand awareness and engagement strategies for long-term campaigns
  • Media Training - how to present most effectively as spokesperson amidst various scenarios

This degree afforded me the opportunity to understand the nature and objectives of a journalist, as well as that of a PR practitioner which was invaluable for my future work as a PR professional, leasing daily with journalists.

As a communications degree which emphasises industry connectedness, RMIT communications and marketing students are given many opportunities to gain hands-on experience and to apply their knowledge to real-case scenarios. If RMIT is the university of choice, I recommend you keep up to date with the many internship and volunteering opportunities that will likely be presented throughout the degree.

I admittedly finished my studies at RMIT a while ago now (2008 Bachelor of Journalism) but I found the course to be particularly hands-on compared to many other journalism courses.

For example, we produced our own magazine, wrote our own newspaper, contributed to radio shows, digital stories, photography and even produced a news program on Channel 31.

It would be difficult to find that level of exposure and portfolio building in any other course.