Interviews for New Zealand Students

Hi,
I heard that to be finally accepted into an Australian university as a New Zealand student, we have to go through an interview process, especially for the University of Sydney, is that true?
If so, what type of questions will they ask and how should we prepare for them?
I also heard that they prefer Cambridge students over NCEA, is that also true?
Thank you!

Hi @anonymous18

We may need a little more detail in terms of what degree you plan on pursuing in regards to the interview aspect. For instance you mention the University of Sydney as your preferred destination and using Medicine as an example the University of Sydney is a unique example in terms of their selection criteria for admission. In order to study Medicine at the University of Sydney you would need to go through an assessment process which includes a written assessment and a panel discussion (interview). This is unique because ordinarily for the majority of universities in AU the interview process is done via the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format.

As for the part about whether they prefer Cambridge or NCEA, there really is no preference given to either curriculum. What matters is what your grades in NCEA convert to in Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR). You might be asking yourself how do you convert your NCEA grades into an ATAR Score, well luckily for you we have a handy NCEA to ATAR calculator on our website here.

I hope this is helpful :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any other questions that we can help out with