Conjoint degrees at the university of Auckland

What is it like to study a conjoint degree at the University of Auckland? How are they composed compared to a single degree and what is their comparative workload?

Hi there

I’m undertaking a conjoint degree at the University of Auckland (a BCom/BSc) so I’ll try and provide some insight.

A conjoint degree at the University of Auckland is generally more demanding than a single degree. For most degrees, you do 4 courses per semester, for two semesters per year, and do this for 3 years. With a conjoint degree, you need to complete 9 courses per year and do this for 4 years (if you want to complete it in the ‘minimum’ time). This effectively means you either have to do some summer school papers, or 5 papers in some semesters, which can increase the workload a reasonable bit.

However you can always just take an extra semester to complete the conjoint degree and only do the 4 courses per semester that a regular degree would require. This would make your degree 4.5 years long. However, keep in mind that a conjoint degree requires you to take more courses at the higher levels (stage 3 courses) which means that you will generally have to do more “difficult courses”.

Greetings,

I myself am studying Civil Engineering as well as Commerce, majoring in Economics and Finance. This would have to be one of the more demanding conjoint degrees as I take 6 papers per semester (5 for Civil, 1 for Commerce), but all conjoint degrees will require a high degree of academic diligence. The biggest factor of studying a conjoint is time management. Obviously the work load goes up with the extra paper each semester, so being able to keep on top of things is vital. If you are prepared to put yourself through some tough times where you are almost working from dusk to dawn then a conjoint is highly rewarding. A conjoint is not all doom and gloom however. If you can learn to manage your time efficiently and develop a high productivity then you can definitely make time do do other things. A conjoint is definitely achievable, it may effect your grades slightly, but overall it can be highly beneficial and teach you valuable work habits if not a diverse set of skills - ONLY if you are prepared to put the work in