Auckland University's Summer Research Scholarships

Does anyone have any insight into the Summer Research Scholarships that the University of Auckland gives out yearly?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The University of Auckland Summer Research Scholarship is a ten week program that allows you to gain research experience and get paid. You will need to apply for the scholarship according to the University of Auckland rules. Just select your favourite three projects from any departments to get a chance to receive one.

To increase your chances of acceptance, having a good academic background helps a great deal, including your GPA and your course perquisites. For example, having a stage three course in the relevant topic of your selected project is a great advantage in the selection process.

I am doing a maths summer research project on algebraic geometry. It is unique in a way that I am putting together content for a postgrad course, thus requiring a lot of reading around the subject. Getting to know the perquisites such as other theorems and LaTeX (a document preparation system for typesetting used by many people in the mathematics and science fields) which I have had minimal exposure earlier is crucial to the success of the project.

Summer research experience is valuable for me. It gives me a taste of how postgrad works, which I am aiming to do. It also introduces me to new academic supervisors which will certainly help my future endeavours. I strongly encourage you to take a look at the University of Auckland summer research scholarship web page and apply for one next summer for yourself!